It gives a sense of community to each arrondissement, socializing and sustaining us.

Markets of Paris: Seasonal Shopping à la française

Sundays are a special day in Paris for me. At the start of each week, I wake up early and throw on something casual. On days like these, Lancôme’s Fall Color Collection is my go to makeup routine. The subtle and effortless palette is just right for my Sunday morning outing. So with a swipe of this and a touch of that I’m out the door with my little basket in hand.

Paris Rendezvous

Where to you ask? The Marché d’Aligre of course. Just a hop and a skip past Bastille and around a corner or two…and voilà. One of Paris’s greatest outdoor markets is buzzing with shoppers passing through to fill their own baskets with the season’s offerings. With Mon Regard Parisien, I scan the market for my favorite vendors. This time of year, the stands are filled with figs, mirabelles, and late summer squash. In the center I pass by to marvel at my favorite flower vendor’s heaps of roses, recalling my shade of L’Absolu Rouge in Rose de Ville. I rarely resist spoiling myself here with a bouquet to carry home.

Doing my shopping here is a habit I’ve picked up in Paris, one that brings more charm to everyday life than browsing the isles of the supermarché. Parisians know exactly when their neighborhood market will pop up on a nearby boulevard. After all, local open air markets are a way of life in France. It gives a sense of community to each arrondissement, socializing and sustaining us. No matter what quartier a Parisian calls home, one of these markets is never far. Here are a few of my favorites I frequent in Paris that I hope you get the chance to explore…

Marché d’Aligre — The Marche d’Aligre in the 11th arrondissement is just a quick walk from Bastille. The open air part of the market spans about three blocks and offers everything you could desire, including one of my favorite flower stands. The covered part of the market just next to it houses many gourmet vendors of olive oils, cheeses, and more. On Sundays the market also has antiques!

Marché des Enfants Rouge — If you’re dining versus grocery shopping, you must absolutely visit the Marché des Enfants Rouge. In this covered market in the haute Marais, you’ll find a smorgasbord of vendors serving up fresh food of every origin, from Italian to Moroccan to Japanese. There is also a selection of fresh produce and flowers if you’re looking to bring something home.

Marché aux Fleurs — Specializing in plants and flowers, this gorgeous market in the heart of Paris on Île de la Cité is where I head at the beginning of every season to source plants for my window boxes. It’s particularly eventful on Sundays when the bird vendors show up with prize winning chickens and other beautiful feathered friends on display.

Added to your Favorites
Favorites confirmation

The product was added to favorites

Go to Favorites