In France, even the average corner bakery will rarely disappoint.

MORE THAN A MACARON: French Pastry Lesson

While it seems to be the dessert du moment, let’s not all forget that French sweets are so much more than the macaron. In France, even the average corner bakery will rarely disappoint, thanks to a national heritage of amazing bakers and recipes perfected over the centuries.

After years of indulging, I think I’ve eaten my way to calling myself an expert on the subject! Here are a few of my favorites you might like taste for yourself...bon appétit!

Mille-feuille
A mille-feuille is made of three layers of puff pastry, alternating with two layers of pastry cream. It’s name translates to “thousand layers” for its seemingly endless flakey sheets of pastry that crumble when eating it. I first had Mille-feuille in Paris at Mariage Frères, and it’s still my favorite place to eat it today.

Mont Blanc
The Mont Blanc is a dessert of puréed, sweetened chestnuts topped with whipped cream and sometimes placed on a meringue base. The name comes from Mont Blanc, as it resembles a snow-capped mountain. Where’s the best place to indulge in one in Paris? Angelina’s on the Rue de Rivoli...

Paris Rendez-vous

Eclairs
Eclairs originated in nineteenth century in France, and have since become a classic. The name comes from the French word éclair, meaning 'flash of lightning’, because it can be eaten in a flash! Typically in chocolate, coffee or caramel, bakers like L’Éclair de Génie are giving them a contemporary twist with passionate fruit, apple, strawberry mint and more...

Chou à la Crème
The eclairs little cousin, chou à la crème is made of the same dough, choux pastry, that is light and fluffy. While they’ve been topping cakes and other famous desserts like the religieuse for a long time, they’re having a bite sized moment in Paris right now thanks to delicious places like Popelini and Odette, both of which are worth a try!

Madeleines
Madeleines are very small sponge cakes with a distinctive shell-like shape . They make a delicious and easy dessert as they can be devoured straight from your perfectly polished finger tips. My favorite places to pick them up in the heart of Paris is the bakery Miss Manon at Saint Paul...

Added to your Favorites
Favorites confirmation

The product was added to favorites

Go to Favorites