They have a beautiful green room with a living wall of plants…

Coffee Break in Paris and Beyond

A friendly, Paris rendez-vous is typically proposed in one of two forms; an apéro or a café, meaning a cocktail or a coffee. Either one is perfectly conducive to meeting to talk fashion, share beauty tips or even do a bit of business.

In France, you’re welcome to lounge for hours without so much as a suggestion for the check. I’ve always enjoyed these sort of leisurely rendez-vous punctuating life in Paris. In the afternoons, I’ll often meet a friend or take a meeting over a coffee: a little pick-me-up to get me through the rest of the workday. When on my own, I’ve written some of my favorite articles for Paris-Rendez-vous and Making Magique enjoying a café crème or flat white at my usual cafés and coffee shops.  It’s part of the culture that I’ve really adopted and indulge in even when I’m back in the states. As you can imagine, over the last five years I’ve become a regular at a few places. If you’re in Paris and decide to pause for a coffee break, you might find me in one of these spots enjoying Paris’ finest coffee. In the meantime, for those of you stateside, there are plenty of locations to rival the coffee and pastries of Paris, so I’m sharing my favorite Los Angeles and New York must-go-tos!

Paris Rendez-vousPARIS

Café Coutume, 47 Rue de Babylone Paris 7ème
Coutume opened to enrich the French coffee culture by providing its wide offering of seasonal award-grade coffees. Here, they are truly passionate about the coffee-brewing process. The minimal design inside is a peaceful atmosphere to sit, sip and savor the aromas of fine coffees. The treats are also delicious if you’re up for a snack.

Le Bal Café, 6 Impasse de la Défense, Paris 18ème
The opening of Le Bal Café several years ago marked a new era for this quartier in north Paris. This spot truly brings culture along with its coffee, as the space features art alongside your favorite brew. Hungry, too? The menu does not disappoint.

KB Cafeshop, 62 Rue des Martyrs, Paris 9ème
KB Cafeshop is a great stop in Paris’ trendy Pigalle area. It’s small but welcoming and an ideal place to strike up a conversation with other coffee connoisseurs or catch up on some work. Pair your coffee with one of the scones and you’ll be content enough to stay for hours.

La Caféotheque, 52 Rue de l'Hôtel de ville, Paris 4ème
This is my most regularly visited stop for coffee in the city, as it’s conveniently located in the Marais. It’s a great place to enjoy top quality coffee and sit and write. They have a beautiful green room with a living wall of plants that is unlike anything I’ve seen in the city. If you really love the java, you can purchase some to take home as well!

NEW YORK

Bakeri, 150 Wythe Avenue, Brooklyn NY
A sweet little spot with antique European charm serving up delicious hot drinks and a menu of sweet and savory.

Blue Bottle Coffee, 160 Berry Street, Brooklyn NY
Carefully crafted coffee—freshly roasted and served at the peak of its flavor—makes Blue Bottle the place for true connoisseurs to enjoy some of the world’s best coffee.

Jack’s, 138 W. 10th Street, New York NY
Jack’s is a West Village fave I got to know while my sister was living nearby. Known for his special stir-brew method, the coffee and company are always great here.

LOS ANGELES

Bricks & Scones, 403 N Larchmont Boulevard
One of my favorite LA freelancer-friendly spots to sit and work over a mocha and one of its signature scones.

Graffiti, 180 S La Brea Avenue
A stylish and Zen environment passionate about quality coffee, Graffiti is another great place for friends to meet over café in Los Angeles.

Intelligentsia, 3922 W Sunset Boulevard
Intelligentsia’s internationally recognized baristas brew up coffee made to order and craft spectacular espresso drinks always worth waiting in line for. 

Added to your Favorites
Favorites confirmation

The product was added to favorites

Go to Favorites