There is something about the French capital that brings out the creativity in all of us.

Paris Inspires — My Favorite Quotes About Paris

There is something about the French capital that brings out the creativity in all of us. In fact, that’s why we chose to call the Lancôme blog Paris Rendez-Vous, to illustrate how the city’s hometown inspires the house of Lancôme in so much it does.

Paris Rendezvous

It was here that I first picked up a camera and later started writing, and since I started doing so for Lancôme too, there has been so much to tell and show you here each week that I don’t often get to just relish in the simple joy of Paris itself. When I tell people I live in Paris the first thing nearly everyone asks me is “Do you like it there?”. What I funny question I think, wondering how one could not like Paris? At the same time, life here isn’t always perfect like the pictures people see on Instagram. But even then, I try to never take its splendors for granted, how it inspires me to photograph, to write, and to dream.

So in that spirit this week I’ve chosen to do something sweet and simple, to share some of my favorite postcards I’ve snapped in the city, along with beloved quotes about the French capital. May they remind you, as they have me this week, what a truly wonderful place Paris is for all who have the chance to wander here…

“If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast.” — Ernest Hemingway

“Paris, I believe, is a man in his twenties in love with an older woman.” — John Berger

“Paris… is a world meant for the walker alone, for only the pace of strolling can take in all the rich (if muted) detail.” — Edmund White

“You can’t escape the past in Paris, and yet what’s so wonderful about it is that the past and present intermingle so intangibly that it doesn’t seem to burden.” — Allen Ginsberg

“Paris is so human and there is something noble in the city… It is a real city, old and fine and life plays in it for everybody to see.” — Katherine Mansfield

“When good Americans die, they go to Paris.” – Oscar Wilde

“Sitting there, alone in a foreign country, far from my job and everyone I know, a feeling came over me. It was like remembering something I'd never known before or had always been waiting for, but I didn't know what. Maybe it was something I'd forgotten or something I've been missing all my life. All I can say is that I felt, at the same time, joy and sadness. But not too much sadness, because I felt alive. Yes, alive. That was the moment I fell in love with Paris. And I felt Paris fall in love with me.” — Paris, Je t’aime

Added to your Favorites
Favorites confirmation

The product was added to favorites

Go to Favorites