In France they are a symbol of conviviality…

Madeleines: A Quick and Classic French Recipe

One of the most magical things about living in Paris is walking through its streets filled with the scent of fresh baked goods. There is a bakery on nearly every corner in this city and each Parisian has their favorite. Having an abundance of fresh baked goods at hand is definitely one of the greatest perks of living in the French capital. But with a few classic recipes, you can bring them to your own home and kitchen wherever you are. In autumn I love to cozy up inside to cook and bake more, so I thought I would whip up some madeleines and share this classic French recipe with you.

Paris Rendezvous

Madeleines are a moist little light cake. They are modest in size and baked in the form of a shell, thanks to the traditionally beautiful madeleine moulds, which can easily be found at any baking supply store. In France they are a symbol of conviviality, a sweet and simple treat often served to guests around a friendly table with a hot drink. Thus, they are the perfect French recette to have on hand for those who love to host small gatherings.

There are three ingredients that make these little French cakes especially delicious. The first is a marrying of lemon zest and orange blossom extract, the latter of which is a French culinary favorite. And then of course butter, which the French certainly have a reputation of using generously, as I am sure you all know..

French Madeleines

Before beginning, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Prepare your pan by greasing it with butter and dusting it with flour to prevent sticking. Then, gather and measure the following ingredients...

• 2⁄3 cup sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 tablespoon of lemon zest
• 1 tablespoon of orange blossom extract
• 1 pinch salt
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/2 cup of melted unsalted butter
• 2 large eggs

Start by mixing the sugar, eggs, vanilla, lemon zest, and orange blossom extract in a large bowl by hand or with a mixer. Then add the flour in increments and stir each time. Once the ingredients are well mixed, add the melted butter slowly and beat until blended. Fill your madeleines moulds 2/3 with the batter and bake them for 13 minutes. Let them cool before removing from the pan.

For a bit of an extra touch, dust them in powdered sugar or even melt some chocolate to dip them in if you are feeling extra indulgent. Then simply brew up a warm cup of coffee or tea to serve with your madeleines and enjoy. Bon appétit!

Added to your Favorites
Favorites confirmation

The product was added to favorites

Go to Favorites