…here are twenty-eight of my thoughts on beauty and life, one for each of my years, that I would like to share with you...

The Golden Birthday: 28 Years Young in Paris

I’m not one to make a show of my birthday, but this year it’s my golden one. I turned twenty-eight years old on the 28th of June. I usually let this day fly by like any other, but this year I thought I ought to treat myself to something special.

Paris Rendezvous

With no shortage of ways to celebrate in Paris, I chose to book a suite at the Hotel Raphael in the 16th arrondissement for a five-star stay in this historic place I always dreamed of spending a night. I bought a sweet little cake from Laduree down the road and shared it with one of my best friends in the whole world. I indulged in more than my fair share of the most luxurious Lancôme products in my cabinet — the Absolue Precious Oil, Silky Day Cream, and Nourishing Lip Balm. Nothing less than the gold standard for me on this golden birthday. And of course I thought about what it really means to be me at this age.

I never look forward much to being another year older, but this year something has changed. Twenty-eight is a pivotal number. To some of you that may seem very young; in life, age is all relative. I’m officially in my late twenties now. Supposedly it’s the age women reach their sexual prime. They stop calling themselves “girls” because, like me, you might have a few grey hairs and some wrinkles to show for your time here on earth. But it’s more than that, a sort of calm that comes over you as you can finally say “Okay...this being a woman thing, I’ve got this.” It’s an air of confidence in yourself inside and out. A wisdom that only comes with time, and the great privilege of going through this life as a woman.

So on that note, here are twenty-eight of my thoughts on beauty and life, one for each of my years, that I would like to share with you...

Age is just a number. You’re never too young or too old to be the woman of your dreams. Don’t dwell in moments where you feel down about your looks. You'll just look back 25 years from now and wonder why you wasted all that time. You’re never too young to start thinking about anti-aging skincare. Wear sunscreen. Let there be one entire day each week where you don’t look in a mirror. Looks are not everything in life. Invest in quality cosmetics. Your face is worth it. Smile, not because people say it makes you prettier, but because it’s good for you. Try new things, starting with any color of lipstick you dare to. Compliment other women, you might just make her day. Any man that doesn’t make you feel beautiful just as you are isn’t right for you. Never aspire to look perfect, you’ll only set yourself up for failure. Learn to love yourself at your natural body weight — life is so much more fun this way. Eyebrows make all the difference. No matter how late, always remove your makeup before bed. Don’t pick at your skin. Aspire only to be the best version of you, never somebody else. Embrace flaws, they keep things interesting. Don’t hoard beauty secrets, sharing is caring. Throw out expired cosmetics. Bad skin days...these too shall pass. Don’t scowl, it gives you bad wrinkles. Invest in a silk pillowcase for hair and skin. Eight hours of sleep, no more no less. Enough said. Hydrate from inside and outside. Don’t squint at the sun, put on those sunglasses! Laugh a lot because those lines are the best kind of wrinkles. Never use regular soap to take off your eye makeup. And beauty is not proprietary, it belongs to each and every one of us!

Added to your Favorites
Favorites confirmation

The product was added to favorites

Go to Favorites