It’s fool and fail proof, trust me I’ve tried it!

Gougères — A Delicious French Touch to Your Holiday Entertaining

Thanksgiving is this week! Can you believe it? The year is almost gone and the holidays are officially here. That means all kinds of entertaining in the coming weeks. Whether you’re preparing a Thanksgiving feast, a Christmas cocktail, a Hanukkah happy hour, or New Year’s Eve bash, I have the perfect French recipe for you to add a French touch to your holiday entertaining, gougères!

Paris Rendezvous

Gougères are a savoury and cheesy French puff pastry that are incredibly easy to make. When you live in a small Parisian apartment like me, you appreciate cooking simple recipes that don’t require any special equipment or ingredients. You probably already have these ingredients laying around, the only other thing you’ll need is 20 minutes to throw them together.

Gougères are great served with dinner, or with a welcome cocktail or glass of champagne inviting friends over to cheers to the holidays! Your guests will be impressed with your homemade efforts. This recipe was given to me by a wonderful French woman with whom I took a cooking class once, and one of my go to’s since. It’s fool and fail proof, trust me I’ve tried it! Now you can too…

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 cup of flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup of shredded gruyere cheese
  • 1 stick of butter
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 teaspoon of nutmeg

Step 1: Preheat your oven to 400°F. Then, Mix the water, milk, butter, and salt in a pot on the stove top on high heat. Melt them together until they reach a boil and then turn off the heat. Add the flour in several parts mixing thoroughly.

Step 2: Transfer your dough to a large bowl and let it cool for several minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing into the dough between each. Then cheese, pepper, and nutmeg and mix them in thoroughly. Now your dough is ready to cook!

Step 3: Prepare your baking sheet and line it with parchment or wax paper. With the help of a large spoon, serve the dough onto the baking sheets in cookie size portions. Sprinkle with a bit of extra cheese and bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown and crunchy!

Added to your Favorites
Favorites confirmation

The product was added to favorites

Go to Favorites